Saturday, September 6, 2014

Artemis' Theme

Lately I've been doing a ton of work on the Black Tokyo Campaign Setting. This is mostly due to the fact that last year I planned on doing a huge Advanced Player's Guide-type expansion for the setting. Circumstances prevented me from comissioning all the art I would need for this huge book, at least not all at once, and rather than a single huge sourcebook, I've been piece-parting the content out into several smaller sourcebooks over the spring and summer.

I've let the Otherverse America setting lie fallow since the release of Closed early this spring and as I start wrapping up the last BTU releases of the summer, I feel the urge to jump back into Otherverse America.

I'm not sure what I want to do, but I definately want to return to the allegorical and feminist themes of the setting, as well as make it full Pathfinder compatible. I'm debating on fucking around with the time line and the history, maybe keeping the same roster of personalities and factional interaction, but moving things back to just before the Abortion War begins? Anyway, if you're a fan of the setting, leave me some comments on what you'd like to see.

One thing you might not know is the role music- particularly Courtney Love's music- played in shaping the Otherverse.  I've been listening to Hole for a long time now, and it's unofficially become the soundtrack of Otherverse Games- songs about feminism and violence and rage with this sense of speed and motion and energy to the instrumentals.

Anyway, the entire characterization of Artemis, this repentant, broken mad goddess, comes from the live rendition of Old Age Courtney did on MTV Unplugged, back when I was still in high school. I just took it as Artemis' theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-gMUfTlvQ4

Hopefully, this video will play. If not, there's a shorter version of Old Age, as the first movement and prologue of the song Credit in the Straight World (which is one of the best cyberpunk songs I've ever heard, BTW). That shorter version is pretty great, and Gutless (off the same album) is basically the Otherverse America 'war theme' but you owe it to yourself to listen to the MTV Unplugged version.

So let's list secret inspriations, shall we?
  • The Lifers got their look from the G1 Insecticons (and from the tradition of Catholic priests wearing purple during Lent, but mostly from Bombshell, Kickback and Shrapnel). 
  • Artemis was visually based on Galvatron, from the same source, with a touch of Lucy Lawless' Xena in terms of face and personality, and her story arc game almost wholly from Old Age.
  • Iconic character Cassie Andra Feneris was named for the Fenris wolf (duh), inspired heavily by equal parts the Knight Sabers from Bubblegum Crisis, Capt Marvel (Monica Rambeau, the most badass of the name) and a woman I knew back in high school.




No comments: