Wednesday, August 29, 2018

I Love Mecha

I've always loved mecha and powered armor. Growing up, Iron Man was far and away my favorite comic book, and Bubblegum Crisis was and still is my favorite old school anime. One of the best parts of Rifts were all the cool robots and mechs you could pilot, especially the awe-inspiring Glitterboy and the SAMAS. And back in the day, I spent plenty of time marking off little damage and heat tick-boxes in Battletech.

So when I started producing my own content, I figured there'd be a place for mecha and powered armor in them. I mentioned yesterday that I'd commissioned some new Anthony Cournoyer artwork for the Weapons for Life sourcebook. I've always liked the way Anthony draws tech, so I've gone out of my way to get robot and armor images from him specifically. Well, today at lunch he sent me very rough pencils for his rendition of two Lifer powered armors.

The big boy (and I love his sheer bulk and the ridiculous number of guns Anthony equipped him with) is the Judgment Hardsuit. It's a walking tank designed to be the centerpeice of a Lifer squad. The smaller armor is the "Baby Judgment", a post-war miniaturization of the earlier suit designed to fill an infantry, rather than armor, role. Anyway, even at the rough pencil stage, the big guy looks like he'd be a good fight for something like a Glitterboy or a Space Marine Dreadnaught. And once again, I really, really wish I had the capacity to make toys (or at least minis) out of some of the designs my art team turns in.

(Furries next time. I was just so excited about the new armor image I wanted to show it off.)

Blessed Be,
CHRIS

No comments: