Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Well....that's unexpected

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/02/08/buffy-abortion-baby-pregnancy/

Okay, I was never a huge fan of the Buffy TV show, though I really did enjoy the Dark Horse 'Season 8+' comics. Great, understated art heavy on backgrounds and with great storytelling, plus stories unconstrained by TV show budgets? Awesome.

I'd stopped reading a while back, just because I really can't afford monthly comics anymore, and just end up waiting for trades of stories that interest me. So being about a year behind the Buffy curve at this point, I was pleasantly suprised to see this story on Comics Alliance.

I'm VERY curious where this story goes, and how much mainstream attention it generates before its done. I'm just worried about one thing: don't do the usual cop out, not to offend anybody twists stories like this usually devolve into. Don't let Buffy struggle with a decision for multiple issues, only to get sick or wounded and have a miscarriage, ending the pregnancy and storyline without any (potentially upsetting to the anti-choice croud) volitional action of her own. Please, please, don't do the whole 'convenient miscarriage' thing.

Anyway, it's been an interesting couple of weeks on the pop cultural abortion front. This, Susan J. Komen, the fuckin' "October Baby" movie whisper campaign. Anyway, it's sorta triggering my desire to write more Otherverse America stuff.

Also: I love in this page when Buffy reveals she's going to get an abortion, Spike's response is "You're pregnant?" Yes, Spike that is how it usually works.

CHRIS

No comments: