Thursday, April 15, 2010

Nothing is finer than seeing your PDF climb the charts....

Q: CONAN! WHAT IS BEST IN LIFE?!?!?

A: Seeing your PDF climb the RPGnow.com sales charts. Seeing other PDFs driven before you, and hearing the lamentation of their authors!

Less than a day after release, Psi-Watch: Unlimited Edition is at #17 on the hot sellers chart, and I expect it will keep climbing. To those of you who have bought it, thank you much, and I hope you have as much fun playing with the setting as I did writing it up.

For those of you who haven't bought it yet, go do so please. You're buying a repaired computer.

Anyway, now that Psi-Watch is out, look for Black Tokyo II, and the print or POD release of Campaign Overlay: Fantasy Firearms soon. That last one especially is something I'm looking forward to. After my unexpected and undesired hiatus from writing expect a bunch of other small releases in support of my three biggest lines: Otherverse America, Psi-Watch and Black Tokyo. (For Black Tokyo, how does a new advanced class called the Ceremonial Unbirther sound to you? If intrigue, arousal and squick is at war within your heart, good... that's exactly the idea I was going for.)

I want to try Louis' suggestion of smaller 5-10 page 'micro-pdfs' each focusing on a few peices of gear, a few related feats, some tech, a single race or class, ect.... It seems like a good way to support the lines, and regular support helps move more product than irregular large sourcebooks. The sales of the Galaxy Command line versus that of Otherverse America bear that out (though subject matter probally plays a role too). One thing I do disagree with Louis on is pricing though. I can't in good conscience sell a 5 pager for $2.99.... that's damn expensive for a microtransaction, and while I would get sales at that price, as plenty of other PDF retailters prove each and every day, I don't think it's good for the long term health of the hobby. If 2.99 or 3.99 is too much to pay for a 22-26 page comic book, it's certianly too much to pay for a gaming PDF that's a quarter the size. I think sooner or later, these relatively high cost micro-pdfs are going to kill PDF sales (which aren't much more than subsistance level to begin with).

So the upshot: any micro PDFs I do will probally be under two dollars.

Anyway, look for a lot of them as soon as my computer starts behaving again.

Blessed Be,
CHRIS

2 comments:

LMPjr007 said...

How dare you oppose the will of Louis Porter Jr.!!!!!

Master Shake said...

OK, that made me laugh right there.

-Mark
Skortched Urf' Studios