Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Things Change



Somethings plans change, and this right here, is one of those times.

Last year, I did a huge amount of freelance work for Louis Porter for his Pirates of the Bronze Sky campaign setting. The quick description of the setting is "Imagine the American Revolution taking place amid floating sky islands orbiting Jupiter." I had tons of fun working on it, and incorporating lots of real world historical facts, some nicely pagan subtext and tons of cultural details.

Louis was planning on releasing it on July 4th of this year.

That won't be happening, but something else will be.

I'll be taking over Pirates of Bronze Sky and releasing at as a new campaign setting for Otherverse Games. Right now, I think I've got one of the best and most diverse suite of campaign worlds of any D20 or PFRPG Publisher. I've got cheesy space-opera (Galaxy Command), sexually disturbing modern magic (Black Tokyo), 90s style superheroism (Psi-Watch) and political sci-fi (Otherverse America). Now, with Pirates of Bronze Sky joining my roster, I've got steampunk fantasy covered.

My one regret about the agreement I reached last night with Louis to take over the publishing rites is that I probably will not make the July 4th release date he originally planned. In the deal, I'll get all the art resources Louis has collected to date for Pirates, some of which I've seen and some of which will be new to me. After I get ahold of his image files, I'll go through my collection of stock and existing art, decide what I can pull for Pirates. After that, I'll need to start filling any holes I find in my art roster- sooner or later, I'll get Amanda, Alex, Mark, Felipe, Scott and the rest of my crew to do some illustrations for the setting.

At this point, there's still a bunch of work to be done. Now that the setting's mine, I want to go back through the manuscript, see if there's anything I'd change working for my self rather than working work-for-hire. I doubt there will be, but you never know. If Pirates of Bronze Sky follows the same pattern Otherverse America has, as art trickles in, I'll add more content based on ideas that have sprung up.

I'll still be releasing Otherverse America first. That's going to be my biggest summer release. I might be able to stretch it, rush things a bit to make the July 4th release date, but I'm hesitant to do so. I'd rather do Pirates right than fast.

Anyway, leave me some comments if you're excited about this.
Blessed Be,
CHRIS

2 comments:

JPChapleau said...

Concrats Chris! I'm looking forward to seeing this one come out!

Mandapandarawks said...

Oooo, I am excited! I can't wait to start illustrating for this ...